View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 03:19 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
BTW, no reason to sweat over matching a relay to the system. Instead of removing the solenoid trigger wire from the solenoid and placing it on the relay trigger terminal, just install a jumper from the solenoid trigger terminal to the relay instead. The relay gets triggered, the OE circuit remains intact and 12vdc is assured at the solenoid. Simple.
I will probably get clobbered for sticking my oar in again, but it is necessary to make sure all aspects are fully appreciated. My greatest concern is that it may be taken that I am stating that Beav is in error, which is certainly not the case.

As I understand it, the original idea was a band aid against a resistance in the trigger circuit, which was intermittent and could not be located. If the solenoid remains in the trigger circuit, excessive voltage drop will still occur as before. A relay, being more sensitive than the solenoid, will probably operate at the lower voltage, but the arrangement would be far from ideal.

The main purpose of a slave relay is to eliminate a heavy load being imposed on a trigger circuit. If the trigger wire is not removed from the load, the load will remain as a parallel component.

Having read through what I have written, I am aware that because of my rather exact text, some may think that I am trying to be a smart ass. If so think again, as my desire is only to exactly provide that which is properly useful.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!