View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 02:13 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Gid'ay Phil, If it was fitted on the sensor input to the TCU, it would. The two sensors are treated differently. The No.2 sensor is driven off the front drive parking gear, and is used for shift points, and speedo. The No,1 is driven off the rear sun gear, and is used to detect the difference in wheel speed, it's also used as a back up for No.2.

The No.2 runs to the TCU, then a wire from the TCU goes to the speedo. If the chip was fitted to the out put of the TCU, it would not affect the diff. only the speedo. If it was fitted to the sensor output wire, before the TCU, it would affect the change points, and cause the clutch to apply.

As far as I know, the TCU takes any difference in front/rear rotation over 20% to be wheel spin. Less than this, is turning, and will only cause a different torque to be applied to the front/rear drive, due to the difference in the f/r rotation. The clutch is not used to change the torque.

Harvey.
Hi Harvey, thanks for the explanation.

My theory is good, the speed difference would be 37.5%. So an incorrectly fitted speed converter could cause the diff to bind up.

Dave tells me that his car is still metric and doesn't have a converter fitted. So it's not the answer in this particular case.

Phil.