View Single Post
Old 05-27-2004, 07:06 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
Many years ago, I worked as a part-time mechanic. I estimated jobs by the book, never charged more than the book, and almost always charged less if it took less time (only charging full-rate for the jerks of the world).

Anyway, maybe it was my appearance (long hair etc - circa 1969), but several customers of the shop complained to the owner that they thought maybe I had shortchanged them (like put in used parts or didn't do the whole job) since I didn't charge the regular & full price. So, I was told to stop doing that except for customers who knew me well enough to trust me.

Was the shop owner just jerking me around to charge full price? I don't think so since it was my Dad.

Good point, Lee. When I worked in the Service Department I had a customer who couldn't believe how fast we did his oil change. He was furious, called us liars, and said we didn't really do the job. I tried to reason with him. I told him that we have a guy who only does oil changes.....day in, day out...just oil changes. How long do you think it would take you to be really fast at doing oil changes when that's all you do ALL DAY LONG? He saw my point.
Now he appreciates the speedy service

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 05-27-2004 at 07:15 AM.