View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Looks and smells great.

Is this a rip-off?

Okay, so I'm pretty decent with body repair prices, but I'm lost on mechanical. I took my pearlie to the mechanic for an oil leak and possibly some maintenence (it just capped 100k and I have no service records from the previous owner; I've had it since 96k). Here's what they would be doing:

Reseal the O-rings (I believe by the oil pump), cam seals, and valve cover seals
Replace the timing belt
Replace all the pulleys/idlers and such for the timing belt
Replace the water pump

All of the parts would be OEM or equivalent. The price including labour would be $1670. I dropped a load when I heard that, but it does seem like a bit of work.

Is that a fair price? Their labour rate is a little on the high side, but I know they do really good work. I would just try to do it myself, but I know a lot of this would be over my head.

Opinions, please! The wife has given me the go-ahead for it, but I don't like to waste my money any more than the next guy. I love my SVX and plan on keeping her for the rest of her natural life, but at the same time I don't want to spend $1670 just for piece of mind.
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis