Thread: Koni
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
How to

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
... is there a how to on this or should i make one.
My post from an earlier thread:
If you're familiar with general strut type suspension work, removing the assembly from the car, using a spring compressor and handtools to dismantle the assembly, that is the starting point for the Koni install. Here's a step by step job description for an Impreza, basically the same job.
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sh...ight=suspension
some pics: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36 including a pass-through ratchet used to hold the strut shaft stationary while removing the top nut (easily spun off with an air wrench).

I found the hardest part to be deciphering the small illustrations with international symbology, since the inserts didn't come with written instructions. One begins with the original strut and new insert, measuring the distance from top of the strut body to the nubs on the Koni and marking the OEM body the amount matching that measurement on the "instruction" sheet. Unlike carpentry, measure 4 times, then again, cut once! The intent is to leave the body long enough that when the Koni is inserted and bolted down into it the nubs are pulled well inside, immobilizing the insert. I marked around the body numerous times, placed it in a vice and cut with a hacksaw, working around the body so as to cut evenly and not break through until well started all the way around. Once completely cut lift the old shaft/innards out, dump any oil still inside, debur the cut and clean out the now empty OEM body. The Koni's come with a rubber sleeve that fits around, and inside the cut edge tightly but allowing the insert to pass through. Appears to be a water seal.

Now carefully mark the center of the round bottom of the body and drill the specified size hole DEAD CENTER, again cleaning up all shavings, etc. You're now ready to insert the Koni. The supplied allen head bolt fits up through the drilled hole and should just contact and start into the threaded receptacle in the Koni, IF you measured and drilled accurately. As the bolt is tightened it pulls the insert down into the body until the nubs disappear and the insert bottoms out in the body. Reassemble the new strut into the spring, bumpstop, cone washer and tophat . Repeat 3 more times and they're ready to go back in the car!

My apologies for the semi-hijack of the thread guys, and please feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong here. I took most of a weekend and a 12pk of Bud to complete the job, but being an AARP member I may have forgotten some detail here.

Glenn O

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket