View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 06:12 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 5mt swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
95-99 m/t legacy/outback shafts work with minor trimming. This has been proven.

Also, you're not going to find a driveshaft length chart as for any other Subaru, if you want an auto to manual conversion, you use a manual shaft from the same car. If you want to go 5 spd to 6 spd, you use an auto shaft from the same car as the 6 spd trans is the same length as an auto.

So to sum up, I'm not sure why part numbers were posted as I sure as hell won't pay what subaru wants for a new driveshaft when I can go snag them all day for about $40 a piece.
Noted*
I posted part numbers for reference only I was doing research so i posted up my findings. I definitely will not pay what they want new either, I just thought someone else might find the info useful at some point.

For clarity, the trimming you speak of, is this done to the driveshaft? Are you shortening its overall length? Or Modifying the carrier bearing mount position? or both.. I found a guy selling a front portion of the 99 legacy wagon drive shaft but it measured 29" end to end whereas the auto is 28''ish. Do i need the entire shaft? It mould seem that the front half would be the longer half since the difference from auto to manual is two inches up front.
Hope I'm not being a pain in the ass and if there is a great build thread that addresses the issues involved with this process please link it.

Last edited by SVXnoob; 04-27-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: forgot a ?