View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 11:00 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Michelle,

Take it from someone who spent over 10k in a year on ONE SVX. Sometimes, it's worth it to toss it out and start all over. However, it all depends on a couple of things. One of them is how attached you are to the SVX -- in your case to penny.

In my case, my 94L (red money pit) had to go. In a SINGLE year, it stood in the shop for nearly 5 months. I had to rebuild the tranny 3 times and a diff once and at the end of the day, diff leaked, engine was pumping out oil (it was beyond leaking). I looked at the car and ask the ultimate question. Do I still want this POS. The answer came back to me. NO. It was a FWD SVX. It was a 94L. I wanted an AWD SVX and one was there near where I was.

Currently, my 94LSi has a shot front diff. It had since may. This one, I am not letting go. I am looking for another SVX but I am keeping this one. At over 200k miles, it's not in the best shape. The hood needs a repaint. I need new head/tail lights. I need new interior panels and such. Out of the 3 that I had in the past, this one is probably in the worst shape. But I am keeping her till she falls apart or I fall apart. I just re-wired all the wires inside the car for a bunch of AV stuff last week.

When you go out and get another used SVX, you will not know what's wrong with it regardless of what the previous owner/sales person tell you. With penny, at least you know most of the stuff is fixed.

When I fixed my diff at AAMCO two years ago on the moneypit, it ran me about 800 bucks for parts and labor. If I were you, I'd give them that 800 rather than loose all the work you have already put in the car.

Ultimately, it is your what you say that counts but I'd keep her for now.

L

ps. hope this is helpful
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!

Last edited by Seraph; 10-07-2003 at 11:03 PM.