View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
I'm gonna have a go at a theoretical install.
If one welds a brace under the "package shelf", could this seve as the mounting point for a racing harness? IE: a 2x4 square tube welded in from strut tower to strut tower. This would do double duty, to reinforce the towers, and with bungs welded in for seatbelt anchors, the rear mounts for the shoulder straps. This should keep you within 20deg of horizontal as well. When the harness isn't attached, simply put appropriately colored plastic plugs in the holes.
Yeah, that would work as well. The problem with this idea and the others like Bill's is that they allow for a good deal of belt stretch. That extra three feet of belt to get to the rear shelf gives that much more belt to stretch and allow your body to move away from the seat on impact.

Like Bobby mentioned, in an AX setting where chance of a high speed impact is very low, and the major goal is positioning, this isn't a major concern. But in an AX setting I would much rather deal with belt stretch than spinal compression.

This is one of those situations where making something "a little safer" can be more dangerous. Harnesses, race seats, helmets and cages are all good things, but using only one or two of the four can be worse than the stock system.

A helmet is great at protecting your noggin, but in a major impact increases the forces pulling on your body and neck.

A cage is able to maintain a safe cell inside of your car, but without a helmet, harness and seat the cage gives a lot more hard surfaces to cause a head injury and other impact injuries.

A harness and seat will keep you in position, but without a cage, they could keep your head where the roof is going to end up. Also if the harness is tight enough to do it's safety job, it will not be comfortable for daily driving and reaching some switches on the dash will be almost impossible.

And the fact that to properly get into the harness takes a lot more effort than fastening a stock seat belt. I know Bobby plans to just use the harness for AX and use the stock belts the rest of the time, but I've seen street cars with the stock belts removed when the harnesses were installed.

Again, for autocrossing, you should be more concerned with a wheel flying off of another car and hitting you. But these are the reasons that you shouldn't add a harness or cage on a daily driver without thinking out all aspects of a crash.

And if you plan to add ANY modifications to a car that you plan to compete with or participate in any track events it is VITAL to check the rules of the events you plan to participate in. Tracks and organizers have different rules as do the sanctioning bodies.

There is something made that straps you into your stock seat. It's not made as a safety device, but meant to be used in addition to your stock seatbelts to hold you in position when AXing. I forget the name off hand??? *lock??