View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: HOW far is "too far gone"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
I've driven the 948 for years. they are weak and are not dependable. THIS will be a RATROD that is FUN to drive!
There is NOTHING left that a A-H 'purist' would even drag away free.
The car as 'concours' wouldn't bring what a 100K Subaru would.
They were junk as 'new'. They sold for $100. when they were 10 years old.
The 'best' car we had was bought for $500.
The 'value' of these cars is enhanced by MODS to someone that has never SEEN one.

That's where your wrong, that hood looks pretty decent and would fetch that $500 if it is as solid as it looks. There are very few concours sprites but a solid driver brings $7500, a nicely restored one $15k. Concours car would in theory be in the 20-25k range. You obviously are paying way too much for a 100k Stubaru.

Someone who has never seen one wouldn't fit in one. They'd be too fat and can't look down at a car show as their gut hangs out too far and blocks their vision. Although not the greatest performer touching in at the 50hp mark the 948 is a nice smooth rev happy motor. Reliable as anything else sold in the late 50s. Provided you knew how to work on foreign stuff. Remember the carb is a little sensitive as it isn't much bigger than what's on my CB175