View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Memory dump of ECU

Actually the memory locations are not standard. That's why the select monitor needs a different cartridge for each model or the mega cartridge that has the locations for all the models on it.

The hardware designs suggested in the thread so far aren't quite up to snuff so if that cable does work correctly it could be very useful for those trying to work on this project.

While I'm being helpful I would like to make a correction to something said earlier in this thread so that nobody thinks it's ok to steal my tuning--I'm not especially thrilled when people use it to find rom locations but I understand some temptations are too great the resist. Using my actual tuning is another thing entirely.

It's long stood that unless explicity aggreed to in a terms of use aggreement that a user/owner of software can modify it to expand it's abilities or change it's abilities. When someone buys say a stage 1 from me they are buying a piece of hardware that allows the modification of the software on the ecu, the use of two tunes that can switched between, and a new tuning which expands the abilities of Subaru's original software. The sale of my product does not cause econic harm to Subaru by competing against them. What I am doing has long stood as legal in both US and international copyright precedent.

Now, if someone reads a copy of my software and then sells it in competition against me, or copies my software and further modifies it and then sells it in competion with me, or copies my software and uses the information learned from it to develop a competing product with reduced development costs...those actions have long stood as lillegal in both US and international copyright law.

I do have a masters degree in information systems so I have more knowledge about these things than most. To greatly simplify it for others there is a simple rule you can use to determine if you are in copyright violation. If your use of something someone has written causes them economic harm you are violating their copyright.