View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
I'd use a synthetic in an application like in the tranny, or rear end/diff, something that's going to be in there for 30,000 miles, but I don't see the sense in paying $8 a quart for something you're going to dump out in 3,000 miles. Maybe if I did the 15,000 mile oil change thing, I would, but I think unless you run it all the time and have a really clean motor, it's going to be just as dirty after 5,000 miles as the $2 a quart dino oil. Now if I had a race car, with a built up motor, where I was running in extreme conditions, yeah, I'd go with the synthetic. Same if I lived where it got really hot or really cold, but around here, for my daily driver, I just use a good quality dino oil.

I do think it's worth the money in parts of the car like the transmission that the oil is in there for 30k or more, and I'll pay a few more dollars a quart for ATF if it'll make my transmission last longer, but I'm not convinced that doubling or tripling the cost of an oil change is worth it...
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta