View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Rebuilt Steering racks "feeler"

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Aftermarket and TVRs that's a good one. Most of the shops which do rebuilds do it only for cars which there isn't aftermarket supplies for as they can't compete with the sweat shop rebuilders for the popular cars. You can find 'em in your phone book in most metro areas or if not locally in your classic/antique car mags. As I stated a manual rack would be cheaper. They aren't as complex nor does it need to be pressure checked, etc.

Not taking anything away from your willingness to undertake the task but personally, I'd trust a licensed, bonded rebuilder if the unthinkable happens. Just bringing up that the service is already avalible you just need to do the work.
Yeah, I hear you on that one. I just thought I'd bring it up since a lot of people lately have been unhappy having to dish out quite a bit to get a reman, or going and still paying a decent amount for a used one that could leak just as much as the one they have before too long. I would also install the first couple on my own SVX to ensure proper operation and after that would be able to find a local place that would be able to pressure check everything properly as well.
I definitely wouldn't just be tearing into them, replacing the seals, putting it all back together and then quickly boxing it up and shipping it out.

Plus, I don't want to be dishing out a huge chunk of change to replace the leaky racks currently in all 3 of my SVX