View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Rebuilt Steering racks "feeler"

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Not to take anything away from Nate but there are plenty of shops (the ones where mechanics work not just parts replacers) who will rebuild a rack and virtually every area has a shop that specializes in rebuilding racks. It is a lot like axles, starters and alternators though anymore. Its is simply cheaper to buy an aftermarket replacement rack made in a country with cheap labor rather than paying decent rates to rebuild one. I had my TVR rack rebuilt locally last year. Cost me $75. Granted it is a manual rack but you get the idea.
One other thing to remember, and I'm not sure if this would apply to you TVR, but there are aftermarket companies who usually make all the necessary seals needed to properly rebuild a rack for most makes and models. As with so many other things, this is not out there for the SVX. Also, the fact that yours is a manual rack will have a big difference on price as there aren't anywhere near the amount of seals. Currently, the only place to get new seals is directly from Subaru. That is why I mentioned that in the future the price could go down if I'm able to find compatible seals and O-rings by comparing the OEM to what else might be out there.