Thread: how fast?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 01:26 AM
SVX Appeal

I got my speedometer to read 137mph. It was on a very, very slight uphill grade, probably no less than 1/4% but no more than 1% grade. (1/4% is actually rather significant at those speeds; one foot every two seconds. 1% is two feet per second.) My tires are slightly oversized, so when 60mph is indicated, I'm actually travelling about 61 to 61.5 miles per hour. I figure this puts me at about 140mph on that test run. My tires are 145cm wide, so I'm sure there's plenty of drag from that extra width. Temperature was fairly warm; probably about 70 to 80 degrees in the early evening with low humidity. I reckon that if the ground was completely level, and my tires were narrower, I might have been able to squeeze another five miles per hour out of it. With a more ideal temperature and humidity, lowered car, extra narrow treadless tires, low-drag wheels, super-smooth pavement, no spoiler, no mirrors, no sunroof, no AWD, over-cooled engine, low viscosity engine oil and transmission fluid, headlights turned off (or belts disconnected,) and a slight tailwind, I expect quite a bit more speed could be attained.