Thread: Amp question
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 09:07 PM

It depends.

How many channels is the amp to begin with? What impedance load can it carry before bridging?

To handle a two ohm load from dual voice coils, the amp would have to be 1-ohm stable for single channels (bridging doubles the minimum load allowed). A rare bird these days in other than dedicated sub amps (I seem to remember pure class A amps can handle this somewhat better).

As long as the amp channels "see" the same music content, just run one channel to one voice coil, and the other channel to the other voice coil, that way you should be good to go with most amps.

edit: I wouldn't be too worried about a clone problem. If I was going to go through the trouble of a clone I'd pick JL or Arc or Zapco. Memphis can be recognized in general by a much less than usual width of the amp, they are pretty densely packed electronically, fuses on the newer models are on the bottom, not the usual end cap...if there are specifics I have a local Memphis dealer I could ask questions of...let me know. BTW, Memphis will not perform warranty repairs from an Internet purchase, has to be from a licensed dealer with receipt, etc. Big time disclaimer at their site & they mean it.

Last edited by lee; 01-18-2005 at 09:16 PM.