View Single Post
Old 09-15-2001, 03:35 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I actually got the peddles out of a XT-6, had to do some cut and pasting(welding) to the original assembly to accept the new peddles.
I don't believe a heat gun will loosen the flywheel bolts, they probably have locktite on them from the factory, I plan to get the bolts red hot to lessen the locktite, for that you need a cutting torch.
The tranny & rear diff I've got is out of an Impreza(make sure you get the matching rear diff as the SVX gear ratio is a SVX only ratio).
I'm planning to use the XT-6 shifter(just because I think they're cool ).
I'm hoping to make some progress this week, as I've been delayed on working on it(I almost lost a finger working on the peddle assemblies about 6 weeks ago, just getting well enough to use).
I didn't remove the dash to install the peddles, but it would probably have saved me time if I did.
I did remove the driver's seat and the console, while I was working on them.
The steering column is a PITA! to work around, removing it would have made things much easier.
After putting in the cable type, I don't see where you could locate the hydraulic clutch master cylinder, as the power brake booster pretty much covers the whole area that it would need to be placed.
The standard tranny is about 2"s shorter than the auto, so you'll have to get the drive shaft lengthened accordingly.
The shifter looks to be an easy install, as when the auto shifter is removed it leaves a large enough hole for the 5-speed shifter.
I believe an adapter plate will be needed to bolt the tranny to the original crossmember.
Will post more as I do more.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"