Thread: The SVX and you
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 PM

Re: The SVX and you

I have three cars, all of about the same age. (A 91, a 92, and a 93.) One is an SVX, and it is the one that gives me the most pleasure to drive, even though I bought all three because they are great drivers.

I'm reaching the end of my earning life, and I try to put a little aside each month for maintenance, because deferred maintenance is the biggest car killer. And it's not just us. I read in "Sports Car Market" about people who buy 12 cylinder Ferraris and then get rid of them after a year or so because they are going to need thousands of dollars in maintenance, and spending all that money won't give them any extra bling.

My family is constantly bugging me about "Why don't you just buy one good car and get rid of these three clunkers?" First of all, they're not clunkers. Each one gives me something to enjoy when I drive it. It brings me joy to go out and decide, "which one will I drive today?"The SVX satisfies a desire that came on me when I first saw the first one on the stand at the L.A. Auto Show in January, 1992. I have no payments on them, except when something goes wrong.

Tom, good thoughts. I can't see taking a superbly-designed, rare car, hacking it up to make some sort of hot rod, and then throwing the whole thing away when the project goes bad (as it will.)
OK, I could rant on on this subject for hours, but I won't.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri