View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 08:42 PM

Diagnosing a noise-maybe tranny related

I am having a few issues. First when I start up the car and leave it in park there is a low grinding sound. Thats the best I can explain the noise. When I put the car in any gear and it engages the noise goes away completely. If I am driving and come to a stop and then put it in reverse the grinding comes back in between the change of gears. I had some brake work done on the car today and a heat shield was re-welded back but that wasn't the cause of this noise. Also sometimes the car won't go in reverse(it happened to my mechanic today). If I put it in drive and then back in reverse it backs up fine. I drove the car a short distance tonight and it didn't happen only the consistent growling grinding noise. Any guidance on this is appreciated. I was thinking of doing a full fluid and filter change but not sure if that would help. The fluid is still pink reddish although I can't get a good reading on the dipstick. Always wet above the marks. BTW it has been at least five years since I have had tranny issues. This was re-built by a non-Subaru shop and has lasted much much longer. Thanks.

Mike