View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 08:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy'sSVX
Re: Painting Engine Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
There are several vacuum lines attached to it, and the EGR system. That's why you have to be a bit careful removing it.

I also haven't taken mine off, but I know the general idea.

-Remove air intake tube from back of throttle body
-Remove throttle body from intake manifold (this has it's own mess of vacuum and coolant lines. You may be able to simply remove it's bolts and pull it back a bit)
-Disconnect EGR tube from intake. It's a metal pipe going into the right rear corner of the intake, probably under a square-ish metal shield. This may not go that easily, it does have exhaust gases flowing through it after all.
-Remove bolts holding intake to fuel injector stacks
-Start looking for vacuum lines to unplug. Get out your digital camera and take some pictures as you go so you'll remember where they go. These things get very brittle with age and heat, and may crack with even a gentle pull. If they do you'll need to replace them or the car will run like junk, or not at all.
-Lift intake carefully, unplug stuff. Lift some more, unplug some more. Keep going till it's out.

While it's out, replace your PCV valve. It will be about 300,000 times easier than with the intake in. You might also think about swapping the rear knock sensor with a new one. When you re-install you will need new gaskets for the manifold and throttle body.
...Shiiiit... I know if i do that i'll screw something up, and its my daily driver...

I thought it was just a cover or something...I wonder if it would be easier to just tape everything off and cover it and paint it?

1994 Barcelona Red LS 97,xxx miles
Mods:
- JVC Indash head unit, polk 6.5's, 6X9's, 2" tweeters, and 8" JL audio subwoofer run off of MA Audio M589I amp. Fiberglass Front splitters molded in, Shifted back stock spoiler, & repainted minor faded parts (Mirrors, rear quarter garnishes),18" murano 5-spoke wheels w/cooper zeon 2xs tires, '97 grille