View Single Post
Old 03-30-2004, 03:59 PM

Flashback to the mid 70s (I got out in 1976). Had a friend (last name Morris - an E-3 from a little town outside Columbia SC) who found a couple while trying to convince the Air Force that they didn't want him to serve out the rest of his enlistment. Keep in mind for the end of this that we were in the Security Forces and we carried loaded guns when on duty.

They don't think it's funny if enlisted only salute enlisted and ignore the officers (especially if it's the Navy's 7th Fleet Commander while visiting Charleston AFB, and after having a few drinks at the O Club).

They don't like it if you lean over, put your eye socket on someone's shoulder (eye closed of course) and say, "Better get your Sh#t together Boy, I got my eye on you." This went over as pretty funny until said in a SC drawl to a black 2nd Lt.

When the weather report says 0% chance of precip, they aren't amused at inspection to find you in a full rain suit.

They don't like creative attachments to uniforms, like wearing a medal when in fatigues (BDUs for the younger military generation). Especially if it's for a medal you didn't earn or belongs to another country's military.

And last, but not least (this is what finally got his ticket punched): They aren't amused if, as you caress your M-16, you wonder out loud if it could bring down an aircraft during takeoff.

All the above are true (witnessed by me). He was relatively harmless and reasonably sane, just wanted out.