View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
I
Last night my wife and I attended a country dance, which was great. I parked off the road on grass and my back wheels were on some soft stuff. (Do I need to confirm, driving the SVX? ) On return and trying to get under way there was wheel spin and applying the normal technique of not too many revs, which could dig wheels in, I got nowhere. I engaged the "manual" option, which starts the car in second and is stated as being provided for these conditions, but still to no avail.

I had been limiting RPM to say 2500 but after some thought I increased things to say 4,000 and this resulted in traction. I have not investigated fully as to why all wheels did not at first engage, and at this stage I am left with :-
Mud is funny stuff, and momentum is all important. When you are stationary, you don't have any!

I'll accept that we will have to rely on your impression that the transmission took a considerable time to lock up and asking the good lady wife to wade through the mud to verify which wheels were spinning was probably inadvisable

In my experience it does take a little time for the transmission to lock up, maybe half a second or so after the wheels start to spin. This is not unreasonable, considering that a solenoid has to operate, fluid has to flow and build up pressure, and other arcane mechanical gubbins has to leap into action - perhaps for the first time in many months (or in your case possibly years).

My guess, and it is only a guess, that nothing's broke and that whatever was previously sticky, gummed up, or stiff, has now magically got better after that little bit of gentle exercise.

There's only one way to be sure though! Which way to the nearest muddy field?
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be.
Sir William Thomson