View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006, 05:45 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman59718
The first thing I noticed was the fusible link still smoking. It may be worth noting that I did not have the battery secured at this time. Do you think it's possible that the battery could have slid back during acceleration and contacted a ground with the positive terminal?

Cheers,

-Dave
Yes it is possible and in fact more than likely. It would appear that this could have been what started a chain of events, which I can look into once this is confirmed.

Please examine carfully and try to establish where the positive terminal could have made contact with ground, or more importantly any other circuit or connection. The fact that the link melted indicates heavy current so there must have been burning, arcing and visible evidence.

When you say the dash lights came on bright, do you mean the fault indicator lights or the dash illumination?

Unscrew the fuse box and carefully look underneath and inside for what could have caused smoke, in addition to the fuseable link.

Everything points towards a multi circuit short. Was there, or is there anything else floating about which could have caused a short, e.g. a tool or component left loose after doing some work? Think back over everything you did when replacing the alternator, for any possible clue.

Come back on these and we can proceed further.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-20-2006 at 09:04 PM.