View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Re: Bought a new daily driver today

Now that the cold weather is setting in, I figured the block heater sure couldn't hurt. On a cold start, the glow plugs will prime for 20-30 seconds, start up, be a bit rough for about 10 seconds then run fine. With the block heater the glow plug light goes out in 3 seconds, it starts no problem and has no hesitation.

The oil was changed 500 miles ago, but with 15w-40, which may be a bit viscous for these temps. I plan to switch over to 5w-40 as per reccomendations from a Ford truck forum. I figure the block heater probably isn't 100% necessary, but it sure can't hurt. I have it on a timer now, so it turns on at 4am, heats up nicely for my start at 6:30am.

Diesel can be had for $2.99 in the area, or $2.84 if I get on the turnpike :P but yes it seems htat someone heard I bought a diesel and decided to jack up the prices a bit. I'm working on getting an account at a local automated fueling station, so i can run 2% Biodiesel. I'm told it acts as a cleaner and lubricant, runs better for the engine, but after 2-3 tanks I'll have to replace both fuel filters, as it will wash all the crap out. I'm amazed with the fuel economy I'm getting, especially sitting in traffic to/from work.

Trailers, it will be for my SVX, my fathers corvette, and my mother's 75 beetle, and any other vehicles I happen to pick up along the way. I am looking to try and build an off-road rally imprezza over the winter for some spring time fun, and with a trailer I wouldn't have to worry about keeping it street legal. Thanks for the input on the 18' trailer size, I wasn't sure what size to go with, other than my father pressuring me to go 14-16' saying "that's all you need".
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!