View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 10:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Need a little tranny education here!

Hey guys,

I need a little education on my tranny's behavior. I'm aware of the 4Eat's temperment but this is mostly a generic question. I'm not having any problems with my tranny....well at least I don't think so anyway!

1) when the car slows down to 40 mph or below, the tach needle drops to the idle position (around 850 rpm or so) as the engine disengages from the drivetrain. Is this condition known as the torque converted "unlocking"? If not, what is happening?

2) after the stop light turns green, if I'm a little too quick on the gas pedal, there's a definite clunking as the drivetrain slack is taken up by the enginen rpm. Is this condition normal? I don't think this is the toque converter locking.

3) while driving, I can let my foot of the gas pedal suddenly and reapply and then I can hear/feel the drivetrain slack. I'm used to the slack on my full time 4x4 SUVs. Is this common in the SVX or should I investigate this further.

4) does the forum have a favorite brand of ATF?

I'm aware of all of the moving parts in my drivetrain: cv joints, viscous coupler, driveshaft ujoints, tranny, transaxle and I can appreciate the combined slack from all of the parts can be tremendous. My vehicle has 106k miles on her. I've never changed the ATF since I owned it back in 1999. I was thinking of doing this this spring/summer. I hesitated this long due to the ATF fluid changin controversial on this site. However, I do understand the need for clean fluid for cooling as well clutch disc engagement. My ATF is still red and smells fine...that I know of.

Sorry for the long winded note and thanks for any inputs. I'm sure this topic has been covered before so pls point me to where I need to go. Message #, topic search, etc.

Ali
'92 SVX

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E