View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 06:36 AM

Re: A/C clutch bearing

When my first compressor tanked I couldn't find a separate AC clutch assembly or bearings at any typical retailer, and my mechanic took one look and said he wouldn't fool with replacing it, anyway. (Said the bearings are pressed-in, I think... sort of a "no user-serviceable parts" routine.) Obviously a knowledgeable person should be able to get the needed goods someplace, but it seems rebuilding these things is a specialized task.

In my shopping around I don't recall anyone who even pays for a rebuildable core for an SVX compressor. I've recently had to order one (a warranty replacement from Meridian Auto Parts), and the guy with whom I spoke said they'd take my used compressor, but that it had no "monetary value" to them. Begging the question, where are they getting stock for remans?

The compressor from Meridian is (as I recall) $345 with no shipping charge, but be advised I've bought two from them (one for each of my cars) and the first started slinging oil just as the 1-year warranty expired. To their credit they agreed to honor the technically-expired warranty, but return freight and installation is on my dime.

The endurance of any reman from any vendor (including Subaru) is probably just the luck of the draw.

dcb