View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 09:44 PM

transmission

I bought my 17 year old a '92 with 74k on it about a month ago, in Old Greenwich, CT, so we're not far away (we live in Weston, CT). So, I'm not at all an expert on the car, but I did do some research on the tranny problem as we were looking at various SVX's. Somewhere I read that there was a screen in the original trannies that all the fluid was pumped through. Eventually, pieces of stuff gradually choked off the flow, causing overheating and failure. The car I bought had a rebuilt unit put in at 70k about 4 years ago (it hadn't been driven much in the past few years). I hope...I sure hope...that when the rebuilts were offered they fixed that original problem. I'm sure someone on this board would know.

I have the feeling that all the original trannies have failed...or just the cars I looked at. So that might be bad news for you. I wonder if there's a way that a pre-failure repair can be made?

ps I'm kind of time-crunched, so haven't gone through all the tranny posts here. But I note that this site is very similar to 3Geez.com (Series 3 Accords 86-89), so it is pretty easy to use, just time consuming to work your way through all the threads.

Let's wish both of us good luck!