View Single Post
Old 09-16-2001, 09:45 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
ran out of gas

144k on mine, 112k on hers.
On a trip to NY and back last week in her car we actually got 28 mpg ! the highest I ever got in mine or hers with me driving the same route was 27. I normally get about 26 on the highway at speeds around 85. I was asleep and she was driving when we hit 28, I guess I do have a leadfoot.

On another interesting note, I managed to run her car out of gas. I had calculated that we would make it to a certain gas station based on the mpg being at least 26 and the full 18.5 gallons. I was driving and we ran out of gas about 1 mile before we hit the station, luckily we were able to coast all the way to it (I was doing 80 when the dashboard lit up and had plenty of momentum) as it was 3AM and we were on the last 15 miles of an 860 mile trip. She was pretty quick to point out all of the gas stations I had passed along the way as the gas light was glowing, but I told her we would make it and even though it was crawling along at a pace slower than walking, we managed to coast right up to the pumps. (note to all - do not try this with a very tired wife sitting shotgun, I haven't heard the end of it yet)

Here is the interesting part - I filled the tank right up to the point where it spilled out of the filler neck and still managed to only get 17.978 gallons in. (463.6 miles on the tripmeter) This was on flat ground. We went downhill and uphill and on flat ground when coasting to the station and I tried to start the car numerous times but it would not pick up any fuel.

So a note to all - based on my experience only 18 gallons of useable fuel resides in the 18.5 gallon tank.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.