View Single Post
Old 07-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper450128
Hmm... I can think of something to throw in here that would complicate things and perhaps settle things at the same time, but I wonder if that would simply make things worse...? I've actually already mentioned it my last post, so I guess it can't hurt too much:

You both seem to be looking at only a segment of your individual preferences, you seem to forget that there are other operating systems for both of these architectures. Personally, as I mentioned before, I prefer UNIX for any task that I deem "mission critical" due to its inherent stability, and I know it is a far more efficient OS as well. I believe that there are versions of it that are better than OSX for these reasons, and certainly those same versions with x86 kernels are better than Windows, for those reasons. HOWEVER.... there is still no question in my mind, and were you to walk into a computer store whose only affinity is for money and therefore doesn't really cater to any specific market, you will find that the greatest selection of software and hardware is for PCs (x86), not Mac, and for Windows, not UNIX. Now, does large selection neccessarily prove superiority? Not entirely. It certainly makes it more appealing to use a PC with Windows, at least to the majority. Yet, like I previously stated, the hardware and OS used by current Macs is most certainly more stable and efficient than that of current PCs.

However, this does appear to be changing. For example, Intel is moving away from x86 with the Itanium, proving they realize that its time is drawing to a close. There is a growing market for UNIX derivatives on PCs and Macs. Walk into previously mentioned computer store, and most likely you will find a copy of RedHat Linux on the shelf, perhaps others as well, capable of running on either architecture, as well as even more powerful ones such as Sun or Alpha. Now, while this doesn't herald the end of Windows or OSX as we know them, it does present some evidence that times may be changing, and one day in the next few years we may all be using the same OS, no matter what hardware we have. For the moment, though, the market belongs to Wintel, and as such I will follow the market.

Now, can you both simply agree to look forward to this day and end this little war here? Or have I just added another target...?
Windows, OSX, and UNIX suck! DOS rules!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)