View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Smile Autocrossers Inc. Event #2 4/11/09

Had a great wet event last weekend. While I typically despise running in the rain, I decided to go into this event with an open mind and eager spirit.

Shawn, Katie and I decided to run our V710's which was a mistake in the heavy rain, but as we were only competing for PAX (not entered in B-stock) we decided to leave them on and compete amongst ourselves. At the two previous wet events I've done at Fedex stadium in the RX-8 last season, Shawn has beaten me by 4.1 & 3.7 seconds. My goal was to stay within 1-2 seconds of Shawn.

The course was an excellent design by Mike Snyder & Sam Strano, and would have been awesome to run in the dry. Shawn and I ran in Heat 2 (pouring rain), while Katie ran in Heat 3 which had the best conditions (rain switched over to a light drizzle). I approached this wet course with a "controlled aggressive" mindset. I focused on getting as close to the cones as possible and make the straights as long as possible (late apexes).

Results were as follows:
190 Shawn Roberts 2006 Mazda Rx-8 Grey 91.621 88.332 88.539 86.486
90 Chike Dellimore 2006 Mazda Rx-8 Grey 92.648 89.887 88.468 88.072+1

So I finished just under 2 seconds back from Shawn but had a run that would have put me just 1.6 seconds back (just niggled a cone - didn't even feel it).

Pics from the event follow:

Shawn

Chike

Katie

John V.

Burdette

Luster

I purchased a set of Hoosier wets which will be mounted up before the next WDCR event. So Shawn and I will be ready for any conditions this season!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)