Thread: AWD vs FWD
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 05:51 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Top speed is debatable, and actually when you ask whether FWD or AWD SVXs are faster, something else comes into play.

When the 1992 SVX was introduced, it was advertised with an estimated top speed of 143mph. Some people claim to have gone faster than that. I took my '93 to a little over 130 (GPS verified). That was plenty fast enough, and the car was still accellerating.

But, starting with the 1994 MY SVXs, Subaru electronically limited the cars to the estimated 143mph top speed.

I would venture a guess that, without the extra weight of the back half of the drivetrain, FWD SVXs might have a slightly higher top speed. Unfortunately, we can't test this because all FWD SVXs were built after Subaru introduced the electronic speed limiter.
See here's another thing that I would like to know for sure... Mine is a 1995 and I've never had mine against the claimed 143 top speed, however Porter's SVX is a 94 and still an auto... His has been well past it... He said that the previous owner (IcedoutSVX) Had a picture of the speedo pinned beyond the 160 mark!!! And let me just give Porters SVX props for a sec... That thing pulls something viscous!!!! It is really fast for an auto!!! I actually think it is faster than my 5mt!!! (Not prooven yet)... .... But it could be partly that suspension that he has... Who knows... I'd just like for someone who has the balls and an Auto tranny to take thier car out on the really straight stretch of road and find out forsure if there really is a limit on them... That's all I want, proof...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...