View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
The TCU has nothing to do with the distribution of torque front to rear. The TCU varies the split on the basis of sensed wheel speed front/rear.

This whole scenario demonstrates just how unreliable are dyno readings. I gather than in this instance power was being read from only one axle, with the other running free, and it was going too be a matter of judgement when deciding if both axles were turning at the same speed. If this was the method used in respect of previous testing of the intake, the figures are certainly very suspect, as is the dyno operator.

It has been stated that, the US cars were equipped with a centre clutch as a means of enabling two wheel dyno systems to be used in respect of anticipated smog laws. Any dyno which simply provides a means of allowing the one set of wheels to freely rotate, can not in any shape or form provide reliable measurements, but can be used for simple smog testing.

Unless a dyno is highly sophisticated and measures total power delivered by both axles, measurements must be taken with the front drive fuse in place, so that all power is delivered by the front wheels. This fact can not be disputed.
Trev, I posted what I believe the problem to be. It is a bad transfer valve solenoid assy according to a 'Torque Steer' thread. I now have torque steer under heavy acceleration. I will be looking into getting this fix (If it is in fact the problem).

Oh yeah, I never tried to convince you of the dyno readings because I already knew of your stance on dyno tests. I encourage any and everyone to test these things by their own means. I respect your opinions and facts on these matters. Everything is suspect!

Even still, I have not read anything from Subaru that states the intake was engineered specifically for the car. I am talking about the throttle body to maf sensor to resonator box in the wheel well. I have the whole Road and Track 'Birth of the SVX' on my computer and have read the article a couple of times. Nothing on the intake (throttle body to maf sensor to intake resonator in wheel well) itself. Only past the throttle body is where the engineering seem to began. I could have missed something though. Could you point out where and why the stock intake would be considered a 'best fit' for the SVX? We can take this off line if you like.

The stock intake looked like a rush fit to me and it seems they simply put a box around the throttle body because it was the easiest thing to do and possibly help reduce intake volume [As in sound volume]. There is not a lot of space between the throttle bodies and the fire wall. The intake box certainly does not seem to support air flow though. Again, everyone is encouraged to test their intake design and fabrications though.

We can argue about the results all day long. I only question the stock intake setup. It has bothered me for years and I'm glad to be done with it. Let's start a new thread on it. Don't forget though that my dyno runs were all pretty much in the 165whp-169whp range for the STi air filter/cut resonator combo. I think if there was a problem with the dyno or turning of the wheels on the rollers, the variance would be much greater than 4whp over a years time, even though the dyno was moved to a new location.

Let's focus on intake design and why the stock one (from throttle body to resonator) is considered best or better than what anyone on the site can make.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-31-2007 at 07:41 PM.