View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 07:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
I am not a Mac user, but I can appreciate them from a technical standpoint. No question, their processor architecture is superior to that of PCs. The G5 really is going to be an amazing piece of hardware, all shfity benchmarks and odd memory lapses about the existance of 64-bit AMD processors already shipping in nearly identical configurations to the high-end G5 systems aside. My only gripe is a lack of support for the type of software I use, games. There is no question games come out more often, earlier, and are more supported by the developers on PCs than they do on Macs.

Macs have their place, and its really more in the professional market and the computer newbie markets, IMHO. They certainly are simpler to use (at least they were the last time I used them, which was a long time ago) making them ideal for people who have difficulty identifying the power plug, and there is quite a bit of video, audio, CAD/CAM, etc software availiable for them that really isn't quite as good on PC.

I think there will come a day when the differences are neglible, but that day will come when Windows has been superceded by some form of UNIX. Apple made a good decision by moving to a UNIX core for their recent operating systems, it will mean a boost in support both for the UNIX derivatives market and the Mac market alike, but it will take some time before the fortress that is Microsoft crumbles in the face of what has long had potential to be a far superior OS. Even now, I don't trust Windows for anything critical in my network (my web/email/NAT/ftp/dns/dhcp/etc server is a Linux box, and I'm toying with moving to FreeBSD, but it will never see any form of Windows on it again), its simply not robust enough or efficient enough for that IMHO.

Hope I didn't lose too many people with tech talk there

Almost forgot: Despite my years of P2P file sharing networks (don't know how many GBs exactly, but I think 40GB is probably on the small side of it, all of that was mp3s, full size 'trials', and ... uh ... lets call it stuff, all the things normally associated with a danger of viruses), I think only once have I found a virus in a file from there, and that was fairly recent (and caught before the file was even done downloading). In my entire time using PCs, I think I might have found all of 3-5 viruses, and none of them were able to do any damage before they were snagged by my virus scanner. Its not really something I worry about.

Last edited by Reaper450128; 07-10-2003 at 08:25 PM.