View Single Post
Old 01-20-2003, 05:51 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: re: diplomatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
Actually Lwin, isn't it true that if you get a car through diplomatic channels, that you don't actually have to do all the conversions to meet the DOT standards? I remember reading somewhere that if a diplomat brings in a vehicle from their country of origin, that when they leave the US they are required to take their vehicle back. Obviously that means that they can't sell it nor let others other than the diplomat's family can drive it.
The deal is that the government of the diplomat has to post a bond for 100,000 USD. That is to make sure that the car leaves after the diplomat leaves the country. If he sell the car, and gets more than 100,000 USD + cost of the car, so be it.

And yes. Those cars are not VINed so they don't have to meet the DOT standards. I have seen a B4 Blitzen in Chicago driven by a Japanese diplomat.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!