View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: This could be very dangerous: throttle cable

Going back to the original post, I have had in the past throttle cables snap because of fraying and throttle cables stick in the sleeve because the multicore frays and delaminates.

The furring cable sticking up the sleeve was dangerous and scary.

These things happened in cars designed for direct carburettor actuation in LHD that had a convoluted cable run when built in RHD production.

Older cars with simpler mechanical controls are easier to maintain and fix and this is one reason why older cars are attractive to DIY people and home mechanics like us. As Phil mentions the newer electronic controls are seriously better designs because the control parameters can be varied per millisecond or per cylinder, yielding good economy [or power] and cleaner combustion. Among other benefits.

I see no harm in the engineers designing electronic control units that retain information on how a system broke down or how it was deployed. I do see a lot of harm in outside agencies such as police or insurance companies taking that safety based information out of context for other agendas.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl