View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

Re: Need some help writing a transcript

Like iizbeastie I'd take the organisation from the piece itself - it should give you a guide for topic/subject headers if they're needed. Or is there something special or difficult about it so it doesn't really give you a structure?

I do transcripts for research round-tables/conferences every now and then and used to do medical transcriptions for Dr's notes. I think its a bit like taking lecture notes - we all have a way that works for us. Here's a few that work for me;

1. Be prepared to listen/watch it over and over!
2. For conferences I'll usually run through it a first time to get an idea of structure & make quick notes about sections, ideas etc on paper beside me so I can easily refer to it. Maybe I've just got a crap memory, but if I don't I tend to get a bit lost.
3. I usually mark time stamps on my transcript notes, both for when I take breaks and so its easy to find a spot I need to go over. Depending on what it is, I might do one every 5mins or so, or just in difficult spots (e.g. a few different voices in a short space of time).
4. I do a rough draft using initials for speaker's names, abbreviations for common or technical words (e.g. sp - species) and minimal punctuation, then fill it out properly afterwards. The final is where I find the time stamps come in useful if I'm not clear on something I've written. Also, I write the initials I'm using & any unusual abbreviations on the paper I've written structure outline notes on.
5. I tend to pause it after a few sentences, get them down, then restart.
6. Once I think I'm done, I listen start to finish while reading what I've written, pausing and correcting as needed.

good luck!

Tania.

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!