View Single Post
Old 05-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Talking Yee-hah!

Did my timing belt and front main seal today in 2 and a half hours - from beginning tear down to having the car running. This was my first time.

I'm elated to say the least. I can't believe I've been scared to try this for so long. It was pretty easy using the threads here, ryan mcdonalds how-to, and the service manuals.

The only roadblock I hit was the tensioner. I dont have a vise, and my c-clamp is only 4" - you need at least a 5" c-clamp to fit on there. I ended up using a very unorthodox method to push in the tensioner. I put it on my floor jack underneath the front of the car and jacked up the car with it to compress it. It was ugly and dangerous, but it worked.

I was doing it alone so to get the timing belt on and stay in place on the sprockets I put it on each one and used a vise grip on each to hold it on there lined up while I installed the idler pulleys.

I had the cam seals, but it was dry under each of them so I skipped that.

The timing belt was last done 110k miles ago but it looked brand new.

Huge thanks to everyone here who has posted hints on this job. I did alot of searching here and got alot of good information to help get this job done.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.