View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 07:31 PM

Re: New SVX frontend ?

Quote:
Originally posted by samsoup
Ok... I just posted my "welcome" msg .. and now im eager to ask many questions to you guys.

1. I understand taht... SVX came with auto.. only? But I see some guys here that have manual trannys. Was it a swap? How much did it cost? Is it worth it? I've always had manual cars.
I called a few places here ... that does those things.. and they said they wont do manual gear swaps from automatics.

There are a couple of diffent ways doing the manule swap, and cost that vary from about $1000, to well over $5000

I chose the cheap way, i got a trannie and rear end from a 1 gen 91 legacy. I also got a satge 2 spec clutch, and the small car do it your self kit. This trannie cable operated and is fairly stright forward procedure. Total was just under $1000

Theres the newer 5spd that hydralicly operated, this is basicly the same swap, but it uses a newer trannie that might be stronger. There is more work to install this becasue you have to relocate your brake master cylinder. This one can cost at the low end at around $1700

Then theres the 6spd trannie which only one person has done, that i know of bulit proof trannie, but you have to shift alot becasue of the extremly close gear ratios. Cost lucky if you could get it done for under $5000, becasue the trannie only a couple of years old and highly desiarble. Dont know how hard it is to intstall, may need to get a r180 rear end and hubs to match, if you have a us spec SVX.

I really like my SVX with the 5spd its quick off the line now and has made the car to me alot more fun to drive. I bought my SVX with out reverse so a trannie swap had to come soon and i always wanted a manule SVX so i may be biased.