View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 04:27 AM

WHOA!.....STOP.....THINK

Finally, you have done some measurements.
What do these measurements tell you?

1. Two supposedly independent circuits, fed by fuses which you call clock and SBF3 are now not independent at all.

If I guess your naming convention correctly, fuse SBF3 is supposed to feed the cigarette lighter and the rear view mirrors only. They quite obviously are linked to the clock circuit now ........ you said somebody had played fast and loose with the wiring, and this is undoubted proof that they have! This might very possibly explain why the clock fuse blew!

2. The hazard warning circuit is taking current.

Why? It should be switched off!

So is the switch defective?
Is the wiring to blame?
I dunno ........ but you've got a test meter, so you can find out where this current is going.

3. The total leakage current is 10.72 mA + 3.31 mA + 3.00 mA + 1 mA + 1 mA = 19 mA (approx).

Assuming a partially charged battery with, let us say, 30 Ampere hours worth of charge then this will give you 1578 hours (or more than nine weeks) before it goes flat.

So either your battery is not as good as you think it is, or you are leaving something switched on.

I don't suspect your flasher unit, but I do suspect the wiring or the switches. You are the man with the meter, so you can find out what it is.
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be.
Sir William Thomson