Thread: tire sizes
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschekiller View Post
the rear weight is irrelevant in a front heavy car. 75% of the braking is in the front and all the steering and control is in the front unlike a porsche you can steer with the throttle with the heavy rear. for example the new fwd monte carlo v8 uses 255 front tires and 235 rear tires. understeer is the issue, not oversteer, but i prefer the wide look in the back, but for autocross you may want to go narrower in the rear for balance as a porsche 60/40 does in the front: '92 911 turbo 255 rear, 205 front. i've also found that going lower profile than a 235/40 is not good for autocross, so ideal tire sizes for autocross would be 245/40-19 front and 225/45-19 rear.
Uh, rear weight is relevant in any car as front to rear weight (load) balance is the key. Also, all of your examples of different tire sizes don't apply to anyone here except your car when it becomes RWD and the FWD guys we have here. The AWD cars require the use of the same size tires to avoid catastrophic transmision/differential failure. Finally, 19" I can think of no instance where a 19" wheel and tire combination is ideal for autocross except when you are running a Stock class car that has 19" wheels as OEM fitment. The additional rotational inertia and weight of a larger wheel will offset any gains expected from a 19" tire. Additonally, I believe there are few autocross capable tires in 19"