View Single Post
Old 11-07-2004, 08:53 AM

Rear wiper problem

The rear wiper didn't work when I bought my car. A mechanic told me that the motor was bad. I finally picked one up cheaply from a parts car last month, although the seller had no idea if it worked. I just finally got around to installing the "new" one yesterday. When it didn't work either, my dad helped me trouble shoot the electrical end of things. The old motor caused the fuse to blow, but when we replaced fuse, the new motor tried to work (made a buzzing noise) but the shaft didn't move. When I'd given up and was putting the wiper on back on, I detected some motion. (The odd thing was that the key wasn't even in the ignition anymore!) After putting the key back in and turning the wiper on, with a little push, I was consistently able to get the wiper to make one pass each time, once to the right and once back to the left. It stops there at the left, then continues to make the noise, but no unassisted motion accompanies. The thrumming motor noise it makes, which starts as soon as I activate the rear wiper switch, seems kind of loud to me. When I give the wiper a push, and it moves through it's one cycle, the noise isn't as loud while the wiper is moving.

On a side note, after working on the car, I left a door open and the dome light was on. It was only like this for a couple of hours at most, but it drained the battery enough that I needed a jump. That seems like such a small drain for such a drastic effect. Is this normal for an SVX? With my last car, I'd left the dome light and I think once even the parking lights on all night, and it started up in the morning.