View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Registered SVX
Re: alternator wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I have never seen alternator wires with the level of corrosion you describe. There must be other underlying issues.

If you do not want to disturb your harness, just ADD a 4 gauge wire to the alternator from the battery and ADD the upgraded grounds. This is the basic alternator wiring upgrade from years ago, The current will always follow the path of least resistance (the new wires) and ignore the old corroded wiring (which is still a ticking time bomb).

However, the old wiring is brittle with age and continued exposure to heat and subject to insulation breaking off or the wires breaking altogether. Since there is battery voltage and amps involved, a short is something to be avoided at all costs. Longer wires are subject to more stress and vibration, even without the age factor.

Those "hot" wires run dangerously close to the engine, A/C compressor, etc., and can unexpectedly fail and come in contact with ground. Removing these wires from the proximity of any engine part and isolating and insulating them is far more preferable.

That's over 800A of battery power going straight to ground.

Prevention in advance is always sound. Your fuse box will thank you.

well they were corroded at the terminals and i followed it to where it connecte to 2 other white wires and wheni took the electrical tape off it was all greenish.

i cut the cable and stripped the jacket off and a good 4inches were black and brittle.

i do plan on doing the 4g wire mod since i'm already upgrading the alternator.
i'm just wondering if i just clean whatevers exposed then just tape it up and seal it and it has nothing to do with the system?