View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 10:43 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
More work for the Claret, etc

Driving my Claret during last winter proved to be an eyeopening and costly experience.

Once I had performed the last round of repairs,

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53159

I had wanted to be finished with working on my car for awhile. I was admittedly, broke, and wanted to just move on before anything else popped up. I borrowed from a friend and purchased my Volvo 850 wagon soon after Reading, and listed my Claret on eBay. Needless to say, it did not meet the reserve. I had mixed feelings on parting with it anyway. Ideally, I would have gotten my $7500 reserve, and would be starting school this coming month. This however, was not the case.

My Volvo proved itself well (I equate it to an aging rocking chair or an appliance) for I put about 12,000 miles on it since May, and replaced the timing belt, wp, radiator, etc. The car has been suffering brake system issues lately, and is in the shop for a couple associated issues.

On a couple of short stop & go trips, I noticed the engine was getting noisy on startup. I stopped bumping my sale thread, and pulled my CL ad for my car. I was in complete denial that this was happening again.

I put the Volvo in for its timing belt and decided to drive the SVX again just for a few days. On that next morning, an idiot backed into it at a gas station, damaging the fender and bumper.

Discouraged to say the least, I gave the driver "a piece of my mind" and reported the accident, and settled with her insurance company.

I took the opportunity to fix the front end, and grab up a rental.

I am having the shop that originally did my paintwork take care of the car again, and have been addressing little issues here and there.

Some progress photos/re-assembly:

Things I'll be dealing with in upcoming months:

Install professionally rebuilt shortblock & new pilot bearing.

Troubleshoot A/C System (again)

and onto other things:

Replace Front Brakes

Install new reservoir seals

Reseal Taillights

Replace Trim

Fix anceint overspray from years ago.

Install new OEM bumper stays, holders, hardware, etc.