View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Turbo forester

That's the difference between Subaru and Dodge. Subaru knows that 90% of its typical cliental don't buy cars based on speed. Dodge has very little aside from speed and occationally a decent looker to go on anymore. The majority of Subaru buyers do care about what reviews say and if most say "great car, needs a few more ponies" they automatically think its slow (even though it fits what they need it for 99.9% of the time).

Subaru has a history of building fairly bullet proof engines that outlast everything else on the car. Usually when you boost it up you loose some of the reliability/longevity of the engine. This in the long run would hurt Subies rep more than 30 hp would. Remember the GL turbo EA82 got a rep for blowing turbos when really it was just that people weren't following the maint. schedule and changing the oil for 'em on a regular basis.

Also, you must factor CAFE into the equation and the need to stay above 24.9mpg average for the fleet. Assuming that since all Subies are AWD and that feature costs 10-15% in fuel economy they are already at a disadvantage in that respect.