View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 11:04 AM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Re: STi brakes, the brute force way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I was going to ask about that. No one does any remans for those yet then? I would imagine in the next couple years that some company would be picking them up which would drastically reduce cost.
Unfortunately, the STi axles just haven't been around long enough for them to have failed and ended up as cores in the remanufacturing system in any quantity... so no one seems to offer remans. I would expect reman'd STi axles to run around $100-$150 each... which would be a hell of a lot more affordable than buying new at $420 each.

At this point the cost of the axles in this swap is by far the most expensive part, aside from the StopTech brakes themselves... but I expected the brakes to be expensive. Knuckles are about $200 each, hubs about $200 each. I'm not sure what the ball-joints cost because I already had a pair lying around. The ball-joint adapter will cost probably around $100 a pair.

So, without the axle swap, this is around a $1000 job + the cost of the brakes you choose. Perhaps less if you're lucky to find a set of used STi brembos on the spindles/hubs.