View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 PM

Re: Rear end swap experts needed!

Mr. Tapani, you are gaining my respect as the Finnish R160 God! I misstated that the two axle stubs were identical. Whoever built up my car obviously had the wrong axle stubs for the rear end that was installed and also wrong for my new junkyard rear diff. They are close, but different as you described. I will posted a photo to show the difference, since I haven't found a photo of the two side by side.
The axle stub on the left (green) is the type mentioned that the clip stays on the axle. The one on the right (black) is the type were the clip stays in the side gear. The joint is bigger on the green one. The splined area is slightly longer on the black one. The total length of the housing and stub is slightly longer on the green one. As you mentioned there is a steep taper on the nose of the black one so it slides into the internal clip.

Hopefully my last question is: Can I order axles for a Legacy and get the right length or am I going to have to make a Frankenstein set of axles? I get reman axles for less than $50 from our supplier and it would save a trip to the junkyard.

Thanks!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 axle stubs.jpg (539.1 KB, 118 views)

1992 Pearl LS-L, totaled, but
100% mechanically intact

1997 Outback, daily driver

Former Subaru MasterTech