View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 PM

Re: Rear end swap experts needed!

Yes, both axles have the split ring in the groove on the end. No they are exactly the same length.
I actually removed the rear diff today to get a good look at everything. Unfortunately I think I will need a different diff. The splines are OK, but the smooth area of the side gears outboard of the splines is worn significantly. Apparently when the axles pop out that couple inches it allows the splines of the axles to ride on the smooth bore part of the side gear, machining it away. I wouldn't have thought the side gears were that soft, but they must be.
I also strangely discovered the grove in the splined part of the side gear already had a split ring in it on both sides. Did these stick in the side gears from a previous set of axles? The axles look fully intact with no sign of wear. I pulled the cover and it is definitely a 4.11 open diff.
I'll try to post a pic of the axles to show you what I have.
I found a pic on the internet, both of my axles look like the one on the right.
I guess I am going to get a junkyard diff this week. I am still a little unsure if I have the right axles or not. I guess I will carefully inspect the axles stubs on the donor car to make sure they look the same.

Tapani: My elderly mother will be happy that I got help from 'Suomi'. I grew up eating Juusota and Nissua. My mother is 100% Finn (Maiden name Paananen). I was raised in the UP of Michigan and went to school with about 70% Finns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Subby axles.JPG (332.1 KB, 136 views)

1992 Pearl LS-L, totaled, but
100% mechanically intact

1997 Outback, daily driver

Former Subaru MasterTech