View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
Excellent writeup.

A couple of comments/questions.

Your first photo must be the wrong one. Those headlights aren't yellow at all. The condition the headlamp in the photo is mild at worst. Yellow is when you can't even count the number of bulbs inside the headlamp.

Second, please explain how steel wool will remove stone chips from the lens? Unless you don't drive much, you will have many small stone chips in the lights that need to be sanded out.

Third, your after photo still looks really cloudy like it is still lightly scratched. Is that a bad photo or do they really have a cloud on them?

Not trying to argue, just trying to clarify your post.

Doug
Ya like i said, the original condition of the lenses is much worse than you can tell by the photo. It's hard to take good telling pictures of anything transparent or translucent....especially with a digital camera using auto exposure and auto white ballance. Same for the final results picture. If it looks to you like there is still haze on the lense, sorry, but i can assure you there isn't. Maybe you looked at the picture for after using #0000 grade steel wool and not the after polished picture; most people seem to get the impression from the photos. My intention with the post was to give other users an easy to follow solution that i know works for highly degraded lenses and i thought the snapshots helped. I'm sorry but I didn't really want to go through a lot of extra pains to take spectacular photographs.

As for stone chips and my driving habits or lack there of. If i had stone chips the plastic around them had long since degraded away to a point where i can't see them.........so I can't tell you for sure if #2 steel wool will remove them or not. It is however, a fast cutting abrassive and will remove material.....especialy anything creating an edge or degraded. There is a good chance it will take out your stone chips along with the yellowed plastic.