View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 02:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
Re: whos familiar with carbs here?

thanks a bunch guys! update on that, the bike was dirtyer then imaginable (Well, maybe not quite that bad) and it was in the 70s outside, so i decided to work on the bike. started as a cleaning, and definately went alot farther than that. more on that in a second. back to carbs...

alright, so i dont understand the whole needle adjustment which im imagining controls which/how many little holes are exposed on the main jet? problem is, the needle on my mikuni carbs is not adjustable, and is vacum operated. ive heard words tossed around regarding "shimming" the needle, but im not understanding how or what this would do, or where "shims" of some sort would go. and yes, it is a CV carb. i plan on doing all the work myself

1. pulled off the intake snorkel and airbox, as im planning on replacing that with the pod filters.
2. pulled off the battery tray, which is also where the regulator/rectefier was mounted to. anyone know if this will be a problem, or can i mount that anywhere that is within reach of the wiring?

3. started cleaning frame. couldnt get far..

4. eventually ended up pulling entire wiring harness out completely, as the turn signals didnt work before when i went out, and the headlight worked... sometimes, and am planning on a dyna s ignition sys. was WAY easyer than i though, as the wires have only one place they can connect, and harnesses only have one connection.

5. removed stock coils with boots hard attached, as one boot is torn, and #1 cyl only gets spark when the boot is held a certain way, or out of sheer luck. its electrical taped together. Will be doing a Dyna s replacement on the ignition sys., and dyna coils to replace the stock coils. have to source out a mechanical advancer for ignition for dyna coil to work, from any 1980 or older suzuki gs.

6. Removing stock 4-2 exhaust, replacing with full mac 4-1 exhaust, but pulling the stock can off, and replacing with a M4 gp shorty style can.

7. and some body stuff, mostly to make it more "cafe racer" and less "universal japanese bike". stock 03 gsx-r 750 rearesets comeing soon.

nice thing is, none of this really cost any extensive amount! except for the exhaust