View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 04:21 PM

Unhappy 1992 SXV Power Steering Problem

Hello, I have the LSL model with about 102K on it. When I start my subie up of a morning (engine cold) the steering is hard to turn. The steering wheel will turn but kind of turns in increments. Once rolling along though the steering is normal. A few times I was low on fluid and I put in addnl fluid. Then I noticed that one of the hoses to the PS pump was loose and perhaps some fluid was leaking there. I tightened up the clamp, added more fluid hoping that would take care of it. Nope. Doesn't seem to be losing any fluid now though.

There isn't a whine when turning the steering when stopped but a sort of sound where there is a thump. In the past when I have heard PS pumps low on fluid the only sound I had ever came across was a whine and adding fluid took care of this.

Could air have gotten into the system? Can I bleed the air by leaving engine off and turning full left and then full right x number times, then running engine and doing same, etc.?

I heard one time there is a screen or sump or some kind of filter that can get clogged. ?????

I would really appreciate some responses from the gurus out there - even non gurus.

Also, I am hearing a lot of pulley noise on the front end lately - has been occuring prior to this issue.

Any help is appreciated. If there are 10 things to check - I'll do it, etc. I want to find out what this is.

Mike