View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Thoughts on prices of OEM parts

I recently purchased a number of OEM parts for my svx from a local dealership, and as we all know the cost of OEM parts is exurbinent. The same can be said for all car companies. However, in the case of the svx, we are paying today's excessive costs on parts that are more than likely 10 years old. The cost of some parts equal that or exceed the cost of some entire svx's for sale. So it got me thinking:

1) Regarding OEM parts for the svx, does Subaru simply store these parts in warehouses throughout the country OR does Subaru sell the excess inventory to a wholesaler? I know the answer is probably the former, but it just doesn't make good business sense in my opinion. For example, a driver's side LS-L seat costs upwards of $800. Entire svx's are being sold for that much. The likelihood of a svx owner purchasing a new OEM driver's seat is slim. So wouldn't Subaru rather sell the seat (or stock) at less than retail to a wholesaler and at least recoup some of their money?

2) Based on my above logic, would it be a stretch to think we could haggle dealerships down in price?

3) I realize that aftermarket is an option, however, I'd much rather keep the stock look.

Thoughts, experiences?